South Island Writers’ Association National Competition 2018
Writers are invited to submit Short Stories up to 3000 words
and Flash Fiction up to 300 words
Nod Ghosh – short story judge
Short Story First Prize: $250
Short Story Second Prize: $100
Michelle Elvy – flash fiction judge
Flash Fiction First Prize: $100
Flash Fiction Second Prize: $75
Entries accepted by email only, no later than Thursday 1 February 2018.
A shortlist will be published on the SIWA website prior to the winners’ announcement 15 May 2018.
The First and Second prize winning stories will be published on our website
Conditions of Entry:
- Each entry must be the original work of the person submitting it; entries must not have been broadcast or previously published in any form (including webzines, personal blogs, Facebook, etc), and if any entry is accepted for publication in any form, or wins a prize in a competition, before the results of the SIWA National Competition are announced, it must be withdrawn. (There will be no refund of the entry fee.)
- Maximum length for each short story is 3000 words. Maximum length for each flash fiction is 300 words. Please enter the word count with your story title on the entry form. Submissions exceeding the maximum word count will be disqualified.
- Entrants may submit as many previously unpublished stories and flash fictions as they wish, but each submission, along with word count, must be named in the body of your email.
- All entries should be 1.5 or double spaced in Times New Roman 12pt, with pages numbered.
- Each individual entry must be accompanied by a NZ$10 entry fee for a short story, and a NZ$5 for a flash fiction
- To enter:
- Pay using the appropriate paypal button on the website. See below for these buttons. You can pay for up to 10 story and 10 flash entries.
- Email your entry/entries to email@example.com.
- If you are entering both the short story and the flash fiction competitions please use a separate email for each type of competition.
- Include your paypal receipt number and amount paid in the body of the email
- Also include your name, and the titles and word count of each story or flash fiction
- Include your stories and/or flash entries as attachments. These must be word documents (that is .doc or .docx). Please do not send other types of file as we may not be able to read them.
- Do not include your name or nom de plume on the manuscript(s).
- The judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into. Any entrant breaching this condition will be disqualified.
- A shortlist will be published on the SIWA website in April
- The results and judge’s comments will be published on our website in May 2018: https://southislandwriters.co.nz/. Only those placed will receive individual notification of the results.
- In the event of the competition being cancelled, all monies will be refunded.
Guidelines can also be downloaded here: 2018 Short Story and Flash Fiction Guidelines.
Payment (via Paypal)
For ONE entry of either a story or a flash fiction click on the appropriate Paypal button. For multiple entries click on the number that corresponds to your number of entries.
Flash Fiction – $5
After payment, please email your flash attached as a word doc to firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, the story title and word count and your PayPal receipt number + amount paid in the body of the email.
Short Story – $10
After payment, please email your short story attached as a word doc to email@example.com with your full name, the story title and word count and your PayPal receipt number + amount paid in the body of the email.